Brett Finestone was educated at Grey School and attained his BA (1987) and LLB (1989) at Rhodes University.
- In 1993 he was admitted as an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa (Cape Provincial Division) and in 1996 following pupillage at the Cape Bar, as an Advocate of the High Court of South Africa (Cape Provincial Division). He has over the years practised as sole proprietor of his own firm and in partnership/as consultant with/to other practitioners:
- EQM Hunter Attorneys & Conveyancers (Cape Town)- Consultant-2010 to present;
- Michalsons Attorneys (Cape Town)- Consultant- 2006 to 2011
- Brett Finestone Attorneys & Conveyancers(Cape Town)-Proprietor- 2006 to 2010;
- Legal Advisor to Highbury Safika Media(Pty)Ltd-3rd largest magazine publishing concern in Southern Africa-2001 to 2011;
- Finestone Griffiths Attorneys & Conveyancers- Partner-2003 to 2006;
- Van Dyk Potgieter Finestone Griffiths Attorneys & Conveyancers- Partner- 2001 to 2003;
- Westcott Finestone Attorneys & Conveyancers– Partner-1997 to 2001
He specialises in structuring commercial transactions, drafting complex commercial agreements, commercial dispute resolution/ litigation and publishing law (with focus on the magazine publishing industry).